Sunday 18 July 2010

Thursday 15th July Telford


Away at 7:40am and visited Ironbridge which was built 1779 and was the first iron bridge in the world very impressive structure. After coffee we staggered up a very steep hill to Broseley B4375 to Munch Wenlock , followed by the B4375 and B4365 and the B4361 to Ludlow had a good Thai Lunch.

Then disaster struck when I checked why one of the front pannier was hanging further out and discovered that there was a fracture on the front forks. Pack everything I could into rear panniers and posted the front panniers and brackets and anything I thought I might not need home. Visited the best bike shop around they confirmed it was fractured and said it could collapse at any time they had no spare forks and rang another local shop but they could not help. It would take days to get a replacement. The quest for me was over I sadly said goodbye to Murray and I cycled to the Ludlow train station. I had come 700 miles to be defeated by my bike.

Whilst waiting to get a ticket I called Scherrit in Ealing who runs Pitshanger Whisperer bike place and the place I entrust with anything I can’t do myself. Corrine his wife put me onto Scherrit who told me to wait and he would make enquiries. Within 20 minutes he located a cycle place about 15 miles away Epic Cycles near Tenbury Wells. I got a taxi eventually that would take me and my bike we eventually found it a big barn in the middle of nowhere but had the most impressive display of road bikes I had ever seen under one roof with prices into the thousands. The chap confirmed he could do for me and should be ready at 11:00am next day.

Found a local place called Fountain Inn stopped overnight bar full of local Worcester farmers talking a broad dialect and knocking back the booze following a Hay auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment